For kids who live in L.A., going to the beach each summer is a natural part of growing up. It's just something kids around here do! There's nothing better than spending time at the beach on those hot summer days. Kids can boogie board, swim in the ocean, play games on the sand with their families and friends and so much more.
Los Angeles Summer Surf Camp Listings
1. Aloha Beach Camp, located at Zuma Beach in Malibu, is widely regarding as one of L.A.'s top surf camps for beginning campers ages 4 to 15 who are new to surfing and want to learn the sport at their own pace. This program is also accredited by the American Camp Association and offers free transportation on buses with seat belts so you don't have to drive your child to camp yourself. If your child is a "hard core surfer," this may not be the ideal program for you. But if your son or daughter wants to learn the basics of surfing while enjoying any number of other fun camp activities every day they're at the beach, consider Aloha Beach Camp this summer.
2. CampSurf, located in Manhattan Beach, offers not just summer surf camps for kids but surf parties, lessons and corporate surf events, too. In fact CampSurf is the official surf school of the Manhattan Beach and other nearby L.A. cities. CampSurf teaches kids how to navigate the ocean and study the waves from the point of view enabling surf campers to enjoy the ins and outs of surfing safely all their lives. The camp even provides wetsuits so campers stay warm in the water.
3. Malibu Makos, located at the northern most part of Zuma Beach, is another Malibu based surf camp for kids offering special events and private surfing lessons, too. Campers ages 5 to 17 can enjoy weekday and even Saturday surf camps and classes. Surfboards, wetsuits and all equipment is provided for all participants. Even campers living further away from Malibu can enjoy the Malibu Makos surf camp program as the camp offers transportation service for an additional fee.
4. Perfect Day Camp Surf offers surf camps for kids at several locations including Santa Monica and Redondo Beach. Campers are encouraged to surf but can also enjoy boogie boarding, beach camps, and a more typical beach camp activities. Kids as young as 5 years old up to 17 are eligible to participate in the program. Sibling discounts and early bird discounts are available. This is a popular L.A. surf camp, so sign up for the program soon.
5. Summer of Surf is a beach and surf camp serving campers in the Pasadena area. In fact it's the only surf camp for kids in the area. If your child can tolerate what might be a longer-than-usual bus ride to the beach, this is definitely a camp to consider if you live in the Sierra Madre, Pasadena, or La Canada Flintridge areas and surrounding communities. Summer of Surf is offering early bird discount specials going on now, so if you sign up for camp today your child can learn to surf this summer and you'll save a few bucks at the same time. Summer of Surf is in partnership with Perfect Surf Day Camp, another surf camp program on our list.
Blog posts by Cora Carter of L.A. Summer Camps.com